Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Treatise: How should we live in community with one another

"Whether you are a lefty leftist, a righty rightest, or politically diverse our first duty should be to community and specifically to caring for each and every one of our citizens. When those living in a land are free from constraints of fear then the government can justly respond to the people." - Me

Free from constraints would mean many things:

1. To not be tied down because of fear of lack of healthcare. Ex. not being able to leave a job for better opportunities because you need that health insurance. Universal health care lifts up all of our citizenry and is preventative to the spread of vectors relating to bad health.
2. Unshackled by constraints on justice. Specifically, the ability to bring to justice those who have caused damage against you without limits such as proposed by tort reform or tort caps. You should have your day in court where a community of peers weighs all the proper evidence and fairly distributes judgement.

When it really comes down to it....perhaps we should look at what our priorities are as individuals and as a people. Perhaps our priorities should look more like:

Community - that is the only priority.

When one takes care of community, one must take basic care of oneself and family in order to be able to then care for others and the community.

Other's may list God or religion as their first priority. I believe Jesus taught, and many faiths around the world teach, and my own relationship with the compassionate divine (whom I often refer to as Goddess though zhe really has no gender - God or Goddess or perhaps God and Goddess), teach that our communion and relationship with others is in itself honoring that holy essence. After all, is it not the divine spark in others with which we relate when we are in community?

I have to reveal though that I have thought for a long time that one's first priority should be self and that this is the best motivator. My position was that when one took care of self, then one could better take care of community. However, this often becomes abused by greed so that taking care of self is not done in a way that then engenders taking care of community.

At work my attitude has taken to point of  "If I am sick, or feeling unwell" then I should take off, I try to honor this with my co-workers and their individual needs with school, crap of life that happens to us all, and illness. In a real sense, taking care of self means that one takes care of the team by not spreading illness and being able to focus on the team tasks at hand.

At the same time, I have some times put community above my family and individual basic needs to the detriment of home, partner, lovers....and most of all....canine children.

I guess my spirituality is community....in a way.
And, for me community is often stratified - for good or bad, in the following way:
  1. Transgender
  2. LGBT
  3. Allies
  4. Diversity
  5. Those who are overlooked - immigrants, etc. - basic social justice
  6. Environment
  7. Greater homogenous community.

So, I ask the question:
What are your priorities? How do they make the world a better place for our ancestors and our descendants (heritage)

No comments: